1 pound shrimp (peeled and de-veined)
2 tbsp. butter
4 roma tomatoes (diced)
1 lemon (juiced)
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 can chicken broth
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. oregano
1-2 cups grits
4-8 cups milk
1-2 cups cheddar cheese (grated)
salt and pepper
- Saute minced garlic in 1 tbsp. butter. Add the diced tomatoes and saute for a few minutes. Remove mixture from pan.
- In a large pan, cook grits (according to package instructions) with milk instead of water. Add a little salt and pepper.
- Use the pan from step #1 and saute the shrimp in 1 tbsp. butter. Cook shrimp for a few minutes, or until they are slightly pink.
- Add the tomato mixture to the shrimp. Then add the lemon juice, broth, and herbs. Simmer on low.
- Add cheddar cheese to the grits after they have finished cooking. Stir until cheese is well mixed.
- Serve the shrimp and sauce mixture on top of a bed of grits.
Grits cooked in MILK! You will never cook them another way! The milk adds a delicious, creamy flavor to this fantastic dish.
You can always leave the cheese out of the grits if you’d like. I personally love the added flavor of the cheddar cheese.
Shrimp can be hard to find. I was able to find some frozen, wild caught shrimp at Walmart!