1 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion (chopped)
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half and half
2-3 cups chicken stock
2 cups fresh broccoli (chopped)
1 cup grated carrots
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
- Saute the onion and olive oil in a Dutch oven pot.
- Cooke butter and flour. Stir in half and half.
- Add chicken stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli and carrots and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add cheese and nutmeg.
- Serve hot with bread or in a bread bowl.
This recipe rivals that of Panera’s broccoli cheddar soup! You can even purchase Panera bread bowls for about $2 a bread bowl!! Totally worth it!
For this soup, the more broccoli the better! I would go heavy on broccoli, carrots, and of course, cheddar cheese!! All three ingredients make this soup what it is!
I would recommend adding more chicken stock to thin the soup. You can even use 2% or skim milk instead of half and half for a healthier option.