1 cup carrots (chopped) – about 3-4 carrots
1 cup celery (chopped) – about 4-5 stalks
1 onion (diced)
1 garlic clove (minced)
1 tbsp. butter
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. rosemary
3/4 cup wild long grain rice (raw)
2 cans chicken stock
1 cup water
1 or 1 1/2 pounds chicken
6 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup half and half
zest of one lemon
- Cook rice according to package instructions and set aside.
- Chop all veggies!
- Saute veggies in 1 tbsp. butter. (In a Dutch oven.)
- Add chicken stock, herbs, water, and chicken. Bring to a boil and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove chicken and set aside for 5 minutes. Then, shred the chicken with a fork and add back to the veggie mixture.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour for about 1 minute. Slowly add the milk and continually stir until the mixture thickens. Then, add this mixture to the big pot.
- Add the lemon zest and mix well.
- Serve hot with warm bread.
Yum!! This is delicious! It is now one of my most favorite recipes… it will be my new go-to this Fall and Winter! It’s bat as quick and easy as the White Chicken Chili recipe, but it is SO GOOD!
I made this for dinner and my husband suggested adding peas to make it more like a pot-pie (he is a genius!!).
Next time I make this I plan to add more carrots and celery (and about 3/4 cup more water for consistency sake) to make it even heartier!
I used my homemade rosemary and thyme!