1/2 onion (diced)
1 carrot (diced)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup fresh basil (chopped)
5 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup skim milk
3/4 cup half and half
1 jar marinara sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
salt and pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
16 ounces tortellini
- Chop your onion and carrot. Saute in olive oil over medium heat (in a dutch oven or large pan).
- Add basil, chicken stock, milk, half and half, marinara sauce, and diced tomatoes. Stir well.
- Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add tortellini to the mixture and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with warm bread and top with parmesan cheese.
Great toppings: freshly grated parmesan cheese
The fresh basil is a MUST for this recipe! The flavor is incredible!
The milk and half and half add a creamy and rich element to this soup. You can always cut the milk in half or leave it out all-together for a stronger tomato taste.
You could even make this a heartier soup by adding meat (I would go with ground beef) and more veggies if you’d like!